Information for Juniors
Opportunities available for Juniors:
1) Win a trip to Washington, DC
- West Central Electric will sponsor two high school juniors on an all-expense paid trip to Washington, DC held June 7th-14th, 2018 .
- Application available on the left-hand side of the page.
- Application due February 16th, 2018.
2) Youth Business Adventure (YBA)
- This weeklong program provides juniors with an opportunity to give them the "business advantage" when planning their future careers.
- Reasons to attend YBA:
+ Students are eligible to receive two college credits for attendance/participation.
+ Students have the opportunity to compete for one of several $500 post-secondary scholarships.
+ Students enjoy their time learning about the business world from the "insiders" (business executives).
+ Students are able to add YBA attendance to their resume, or future job, college and scholarship applications.
+ Students enjoy an opportunity to spend a week on a college campus in SD, make new friends from all over the state, and engage in activities
such as swimming, working out, dancing, or just "hanging out" with new friends in the dorms.
- Cost to attend YBA: $250 non-refundable fee
- Applications are available, and can be printed from the link on the left-hand side of the page. They are due back to Mrs. Reuman by February 23rd, 2018
3) Girls State & Boys State
- This is an opportunity for many students from all across South Dakota to experience a week long, intensive training about citizenship and government.
- Each participate takes an active part in the week's activities and learns that his/her government is just what he/she makes of it.
- As future voters and office holders, girls and boys staters gain a thorough understanding of the workings of the government.
- Applications will be available in the spring.
4) Youth Trooper Academy
- Any juniors interested in a career in law enforcement are invited to attend the Youth Trooper Academy.
- This event runs from Monday, June 25th through Friday, June 29th, 2018 in Pierre at the SD Law Enforcement Training Center.
- This event is free of charge.
- Candidates must be in good academic standing with their high school, and must be of good moral character while presenting a well-groomed appearance.
- Candidates must possess a valid SD Driver License.
- Applications can be printed by clicking on the link on the left-hand side of the page. These need to be returned to Mrs. Reuman by March 23rd, 2018. Space is limited, so it would be a good idea to get these in as soon as possible if you would like to reserve a spot.